When is the last time you stopped being so busy and actually reconnected with the wellspring and natural wholesomeness of your basic being?
Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Training
With David Nichtern
This training will help you gain a more complete understanding of meditation practice and an overview of the stages of the Buddhist path. It will also help you to deepen your own practice, and develop your ability to present these teachings in a clear and genuinely helpful way to others in both a group and 1-1 setting.
The program is aimed at those who wish to become more skillful in presenting meditation – such as yoga teachers, health care professionals, social workers, psychologists, educators, and fitness trainers. It will also be appropriate for those who simply want to deepen their own practice and understanding.
After successful completion of Level 3 and the full training program, Teacher Trainees will receive a certification of completion from Samarasa to teach meditation classes, lead group practice sessions, and work with individual students within the yoga studio environment or other appropriate contexts.
This program is taught by David Nichtern, who is a senior teacher in the Shambhala Buddhist lineage of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche. This tradition combines a contemporary, secular approach to meditation with the ancient practices and philosophies of Tibetan Buddhism.
David has been the Director of Karme Choling Meditation Center in Vermont (USA), Director of Buddhist Studies and Practice at OM Yoga Center (NYC), Director of LA Shambhala Center, and Director of Expansion for Shambhala Training International. He teaches meditation workshops and teacher training programs around the world and online, and also mentors individual students in person and via Skype.
He is known for his ability to present the richness and depth of the Buddhist tradition with a light touch, making it accessible and relevant. He created a weekly live broadcast available on YouTube and has online workshops available through creativeLIVE.com. His book “Awakening From The Daydream – Reimagining The Buddha’s Wheel of Life” was released by Wisdom Publications in October 2016.
David is also an Emmy winning, Grammy nominated composer, guitarist and producer. He is the composer of the classic song “Midnight at the Oasis” and has worked with a diverse range of artists including Christopher Guest, Maria Muldaur, Paul Simon, Lana Del Rey, Stevie Wonder, Krishna Das. Jerry Garcia and many others.
Our weekend trainings will be very concentrated. There will be ongoing study and practice requirements between each level for those who continue to Levels 2 & 3 and who opt to take the full 100-hour certification from Samarasa.
Level 1: Introduction to Mindfulness + The Path of Meditation
There will be two opportunities to attend. Level 1 is required for but not limited to teacher trainees. Open to all.
June 8th – 10th OR August 3rd – 5th
Investment: Early bird – $350 (before April 30th for June and before June 15 for August) / Regular price – $375
- Learn the foundations of meditation practice.
- Understand and experience the benefits of meditation.
- Overview of the Buddhist path and stages of practice.
- Move toward helping others with their meditation practice and personal journey.
Level 2: Guiding Groups – September 28th – 30th
- Continue to deepen and extend your practice and study.
- Develop clarity and communication skills for presenting meditation to others in a group setting.
- Intensive breakout sessions in which you will be giving talks in a group setting and receiving feedback from the Teachers and other Teacher Trainees.
Level 3: Providing Personal Instruction – November 16th – 18th
- Continue to deepen and extend your practice and study.
- Learn to work with presenting meditation in a one-to-one setting.
- Intensive breakout sessions in which you will practice giving personal meditation instruction and receiving feedback from the Teachers and other Teacher Trainees.
Investment for 100-hr Samarasa Meditation Teacher Training Certification – $1150
Samarasa Meditation TT 100-Hour Certification Course Requirements:
- In Class attendance: 3 full levels (in sequence 1-2-3) with David, and the equivalent of four 3-hour group intensive meditation sessions either at Samarasa or an approved meditation center (at any time before certification).
- Personal practice
An absolute commitment to a minimum of 5 sessions of mindfulness meditation per week during the entire program – minimum of 20 minutes per session. Please keep a personal log of meditation sessions. Journaling (please do not journal during sessions) is optional.
- Meditation Intensive – Deepening Your Practice
- This program will be an immersion style practice retreat. It will give students of all levels a chance to deepen and expand their meditation practice based on Level 1 instruction.
- Talks and discussions will also be included throughout the weekend.
- TT’s will be required to attend at least four 3-hour intensive meditation sessions either at Samarasa or at approved meditation centers.
- One Buddhist Studies workshop in person with David at Samarasa (see schedule on Samarasa website) and one attended online: Here are links to 5 recommended online presentations by David. Please note that there will always be a Buddhist studies workshop the evening before each Level of the TT at Samarasa):
The entire library of online talks is here:
Specifically Recommended for our 100-hour TT:
- Gentleness & Precision
- Meditation & Working with Strong Emotions
- Going Deeper with Your Meditation Practice
- Sense of Humor
- Meditation, Contemplation & Action
Please schedule 2 personal meetings with the Assistant Director (TBA) to discuss your practice before the end of the program, either in person or via skype.
- Group practice sessions.
Four group practice sessions at Samarasa or breakout gatherings at other locations when appropriate. You can either arrange your own groups or Samarasa will assist. Four 2-hour meetings before the end of the course to include 1 hour of group practice and 1 hour of practicing teaching a class as per mock sessions introduced in Level 2.
- Your final exam will consist of making a mock teaching presentation to the Assistant Director as well as a written (online) exam. These are required for certification.
- Your reading assignments will be at the end of your Level 1 Manual.
- As indicated there are 3 required books to be read (at your own pace) in their entirety as well as several recommended additional readings.
Upon successful completion of all of the above requirements you will receive your Samarasa – 100-hour Meditation Teacher Training Certificate. Your name will be posted on Samarasa’s list of certified mindfulness meditation teachers and you will be eligible to teach meditation classes at Samarasa. Of course you may present your certification as you see fit in other appropriate contexts.